I love meals that are quick, don’t require a lot of dishes, and can be made with whatever I have on hand. Stir fry meet all of those requirements and can pack a serious protein punch.
Mix it up with whatever you have. Love mushrooms? Double them. Need some onions? Add some. Want more protein? Tofu!
FYI – This a “Meal Idea”. Meal Ideas will provide inspiration for a dish or meal that can be easily made with a lot of variation (to accommodate taste or what you have in on hand).
Brown Rice Stir Fry
(serves 4) (total time – 15 min)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (day old)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (remove if gluten free)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- Coarse salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add 1 red pepper red. Cook until peppers are crisp-tender (3 min).
Add 3 c rice and 3 Tbsp soy sauce. Cook (stirring occasionally) until rice is heated and slightly browned (5-7 min).
Stir in 1 tsp sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with 3 scallions. Serve hot.