Is it still brunch if it’s after noon?
This tofu scramble was fantastic. I have to admit I was a little skeptical but the flavor is perfection.
I get questions all the time about how I get enough plant powered protein. The trifecta of beans, tofu, and veggies has 18 grams of plant protein!!
Tofu Scramble Tacos
(serves 2) (prep time – 20 total time – 30 minutes)
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- Olive oil
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Serving (* indicates I used)
- Corn tortilla*
- Refried beans*
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel. Place something heavy on top for 15-25 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, add dry spices to a small bowl. Slice veggies. Then, warm a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, onion, and red pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add mushroom, season with a bit more salt and pepper (maybe some chili), and cook for 2 more minutes.
- While that’s cooking, crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Move the veggies to one side of the pan and add the tofu. Add dry spice mix evenly over tofu. Stir immediately.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly so the bottom doesn’t stick to the pan. Done when tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately on tortillas.
Printer friendly version here