This dish couldn’t be simpler and more versatile. You can use whatever potatoes (or any root vegetables really!), spices, and oils you have on hand.
It takes about 10 mins of prep (from washing to potato to doing the dishes). Then you just pop it in the oven and do whatever else needs to get done! After 45 minutes or so, a healthy real dish is ready (plus it’s vegan and gluten free to boot!).
This dish naturally makes a great side. But with a few simple adjustments it can easily be served as an appetizer or entree (just add a big salad or serve yourself a plate full and you’re all set).
I like trying out all different types of spice combination. I also enjoy mixing it up by adding things like celery, sweet potatoes, onion, and beets.
FYI – This a “Meal Idea”. Meal Ideas will provide inspiration for a dish or meal that can be easily made with a lot of variation (to accommodate taste or what you have in on hand).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Clean and cut the vegetables in half or 1” cubes.
- In a baking pan, toss the potatoes with the oil and spices.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Stir the potatoes once after about 15 minutes of baking so they brown on all sides. Serve warm or cold.
- Mexican – cumin, chili, cilantro
- Indian – ginger, chopped garlic, turmeric, cumin
Variety of root vegetables
1 red beet + 1 white potato + 3 celery stalks + 1/2 white onion + 2 large carrots + 1 tbs rosemary + 1 tsp dried oregano + salt and pepper
Sweet Sweet Potatoes
1 sweet potato + 1 tbs coconut oil + 2 tbs cinnamon
Italian Roasted Potatoes
5 russet potatoes + 1/2 white onion + 1 tbs italian spice + 1 tbs oregano + pepper + olive oil to coat