So, I’ve become a huge fan of water, particularly lemon water. Warm lemon water in the morning wakes up me up and gets my day started on the right note. It wakes me up (sans the caffeine jitters I get from coffee) and rehydrates me after my 8 hours of shut eye!
Beyond tasting great, there’s a ton of real benefits to drinking warm lemon water (especially first thing in the morning!)
- Aids digestion. Drinking warm water first thing in the morning helps to flush the digestive system, re-hydrate the body, and encourages the production of bile.
- Easy, natural flush. While you sleep your liver is busy! Drinking water in the morning helps to make sure your liver and lymph systems are functioning. properly. Think about it – after sleep you haven’t drank anything for 6-8 hours!
- Vitamin C. Lemons have about 30-50 mg of vitamin C. Drinking lemon first thing in the morning increases the body’s absorption of the vitamin C, which can provide a slight immune boost, improve adrenal function, and improve skin.
Warm Lemon Water
- 1/2 lemon
- 8-10 oz water
- Fill your favorite mug or coffee cup with warm (not boiling) water.
- Squeeze in the juice from the lemon. To add some extra flavor, try adding some agave nectar or ginger.